Monday, November 2, 2009

Unbreak

"Unbreak my heart
say you'll love me again
Undo this hurt that you caused
when you walked out of the door
and walked out of my life
Uncry these tears
I cried so many nights
Unbreak my heart
my heart"

So what in the world does one of Toni Braxton's greatest hits have to do with Scribe?

This isn't the place to rehash her alleged role in breaking up Triple J, however, it's this song that works so well with the title of my latest Norman Einsteins contribution, "Unbreak My Heart: The Many Sides of Teams on the Move".

"Unbreak" discusses the impact of relocated franchises in their (relatively) new cities. This topic came to mind for a number of reasons, but it was mostly inspired by Michael D'Antonio's Forever Blue, a book that shined a new light on the Dodgers' move to Los Angeles and was referenced here recently. The recent ESPN "30 for 30" effort from Barry Levinson helped kick the tires a bit more as "The Band That Wouldn't Die" added another chapter to the saga of the Colts move from Baltimore to Indianapolis.

I have been amazed how often we hear about the heartbroken city and the demonized franchise as opposed to the jubilant new hosts and the newly-deified home team. Not to say that this article will suddenly open the collective fans' eyes to the realities of such decisions, but if anything, I hope it at least makes people consider the other side a bit more.

There was so much left out from this essay that I decided that a follow-up post is in order for tomorrow. Again, my most sincere thanks to the contributors.

Also, do yourself a favor and check out the rest of the sixth edition of the web magazine and always get enlightened with some of the best sports scribbles on the internet in the Rec Room.

No comments: