Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tweets

Truthfully, it was an agonizing decision to “join the dark side” they call Twitter.

Personally, I don’t think I’m that interesting of a person to be followed, despite being intrigued by those around me. Just as any social networking site or blog can be used as an exercise in vanity, Twitter seemed (and still feels that way) to be self-adulation on steroids.

However, after a week of being convinced by friends, mentors, colleagues and family, it seemed that joining Twitter couldn’t be as bad as I previously thought. Many businesses have found ways it can attract attention, if not customers, to their offerings. Many bloggers and media personalities that I pay attention to are avid users of the microblogging site. Many friends use it to keep up with their personal interests.

Despite some unwavering personal reservations, I feel that Twitter will be a great way to not only enhance Scribe’s profile, but it allows for us to learn about each other in a different way.

So before anyone who comes across Scribe thinks of sending their Tweets, here are a few rules I prefer to live by:
  1. Certainly, personal thoughts will be sent and shared among readers, yet if you don’t get a ReTweet about those non-sports thoughts, it’s only because I’d prefer to discuss that stuff for something more than 140 characters.

  2. The Twitter page was created to build a community around Scribe intended to discuss sports only. For that reason, I ask that we stray from politics, religious or sexual stories unless there may be some relevance to Scribe. This I BEG of you to keep in mind.

  3. Do spread the love about all things that were, will be and are Scribe. This page exists to help continue the conversations that are on the blog. As discussed with some over the weekend, many of you feel far more comfortable talking about a post or video offline or on other forums such as Facebook. Yet, consider this a quick and dirty way to let something loose. It might be cathartic, it might be curious, yet it should be like any blog comment; fun, funny and/or thoughtful.

  4. From time to time, there may be a call to arms. I may investigate an angle for a future post or story, so any way that you may be able to help is truly appreciated. I will certainly reciprocate in the best manner possible.

  5. If there’s a question, just ask. If there’s a brief thought that needs a mere note for the time being until you can get to your computers, leave it here and refer back to it to complete it. If there’s someone who I should check out (regardless of subject, so long as it’s none of the Big Bad Three in rule 2), let me know.
So let’s have some fun with this, shall we?

twitter.com/asportsscribe

No comments: